Friday, June 20, 2008

The "Classics"


I have a question to pose to you writers out there. Do you ever feel like you need to write something but you just don't know what? I am overwhelmed with this feeling at the moment and I can't shake it. It is 1:25 am and let's be honest I am tired as hell. High School/Block Party is a long shift and I would love more than anything to lay in bed and sleep right now but I gotta write for just a sec and see what comes out ya know?

So today at High School, one of our singers had her last show. She was offered another contract on property and is leaving starting tomorrow. It was a sad day because I like the girl a lot. She is amazingly talented though so she does need to move on to bigger and better things, as we all do. Anywho. For our/her last show many of our peers came out to support her and show some love. This was great and touching and Disney magic and everything but it made me realize something: I hate performing in front of my peers. Everyday I shake my junk in front of literally hundreds of strangers. Doesn't phase me. But put me in front of three close friends and I choke! It is kinda ridiculous. They were all standing there, front and center and I was freaking out in my head. I ever started getting like nervous jitters. But they did give us energy to get through that last grueling show of the day so I guess it worked in the end.

Speaking of High School, today in the breakroom they turned on Mary Poppins. I know, ridiculous, as if we don't get enough Disney shoved in our face we watch the movies on our breaks. Beside the point. Anywho I was half watching it/half trying to take a nap. I couldn't follow the movie. One second there are abusive parents, the next some lady is flying around making toys dance around, then there were animated penguins, old men it was all over the place. Needless to say I haven't seen it before. Now before you start throwing chairs and yelling calm it down! I already got it from everyone in the break room today. You say one thing like:

"I've never seen Mary Poppins." and the whole room freaks out like I just said "I like to kill babies and small kittens". It's true I'll say it, I've never seen it! What are you gonna do about it!?

Anywho after the verbal assault I sat in my chair and realized there are a lot of "classic" movies that I haven't seen and, frankly, don't plan on seeing. Lets make a list shall we?

Movies Bry doesn't care that he hasn't seen:
        1. Mary Poppins
        2. Annie
        3. Sound of Music
        4. Pride & Prejudice
        5. Oliver & Co.
        6. The Black Cauldron
        7. Dirty Dancing
        8. Shindler's List
        9. Singin' in the Rain
        10. Breakfast at Tiffany's
        11. Top Gun
        12. Psycho
        13. Any of the Godfathers
        14. Pulp Fiction
        15. Forest Gump
        16. The Terminator
        17. Jaws
        18. Gone With The Wind
        19. Some Like It Hot
        20. It's a Wonderful Life

Just to name a few. Some of them I have seen parts of, other I saw more than ten years ago, all of them are too boring to actually sit down and watch. Who has time to watch old movies when there are so many new ones? I know it is blasphemy but I am going to keep living my life without the "classic" films listed above, and I have no intent to change that fact.

1 comment:

Meagan M. Downey said...

I am behind you 100%!! I think it's perfectly fine to not watch a movie for no good reason at all (i.e. Star Wars 1-6, Lion King, Mulan, Hercules, Hunchback, Tarzan, Emperor's New Groove, etc.) I miss you, yo...