Monday, June 23, 2008

The Hunchback of Notre Dame...


So the other day at High School someone brought a bunch of movies for us to watch in our free time. Of the nine hours we are on the clock we are only performing for about two of those hours, so needless to say we have a lot of free time. Anywho one of the movies they brought in was Disney's interpretation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I was ecstatic because it had been years since I had seen it and, from what I could remember, it was a really good film. So they popped it in and we started watching it. Luckily for us, our one o'clock show was down do to an awesome thunderstorm (reducing our actual work time to an hour and 25 minuets) so we were able to watch the whole thing in one sitting.

So here's the thing. Ya know when you watch a movie when you are a little kid, then ten years later you watch it again and you are amazed at how little of the movie you actually understood. This was totally the case for me with this movie. Frankly I was shocked. Not really in a bad way, just in a shocked way. First of all, for a children's movie, this thing is dark. It is no Little Mermaid that's for sure. It deals with, in my opinion, some of the most intense and adult themes than in any other Disney cartoon. The whole thing is about religious beliefs, lust, obsession, acceptance, prejudice, jealousy, and greed. It is really intense. I'm gonna be honest, I had to take a break every once in a while to let my emotions rest. Plus the villan, Frollo, is SO much scarier than any other Disney villan, because, unlike most of the others, there is nothing magical about him. He isn't half octopus or have magical powers. He is just straight up evil. You can see the darkness in the way they drew his eyes. He really freaked me out.

I loved it though. The illustrations are stunning and the characters are so deep. They have layer upon layer of emotions and scars. I was so enveloped in the movie that I had to remind myself that I was watching a cartoon and that they weren't real. Lemme tell you though, if it weren't for those damn singing gargoyles and their comic relief I dunno what I would have done.

Bottom line: go pick it up off the shelf, blow the dust off of it and pop it in. It is beautiful and I walked away from it really glad I got the chance to revisit Notre Dame.

3 comments:

~kcasti said...

I haven't read The Hunchback of Notre Dame yet nor did I see the movie when I was a kid. I don't know. I felt that time that it was too boring for me. But the past few months, I've been digging on the classics. ;) hoppin', btw :)

Jash said...

in his defense, who doesnt like a good hair sniff...

ps other random fact about my life: I wanted to make this into a marching band show at one point. nerdy, i know...

Allie said...

I've always loved The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I have to admit, I do love Frollo's song, "Hellfire". Even when I was little, I did. Am I evil? Or do I just appreciate fine cinema? Your call. ;)

PS: Notre Dame is not as big as Disney would have you believe. When I was there, I tried to picture someone jumping off with as much hangtime as Quasi gets in the movie. Not possible. But it's a cartoon. Gotta love it.