Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"Love is..." by Lee McDerment


So the other day Peter and I went to Celebration, Florida (or Wisteria Lane as I like to call it) to eat breakfast at one of our favorite breakfast spots The Market Street Cafe. It is really cheap, quaint and they serve breakfast all day so that is a plus. They have this create your own breakfast thing that is like seven bucks, it is awesome. I digress.

So we were sitting there with all the fifty somethings and their rich grandkids eating breakfast and judging the awful fashion sense of 96% of the people in Celebration. The "fabulous" guy and his girlfriend from What Not To Wear would have a field day (or whatever the equivalent of a field day is to a couple of fashionistas is.) It is yuppy city. Remember when socks and sandals left the fashion scene? It retired to Celebration.

All fashion faux pas aside the breakfast was going well. Mid-gorge I had to excuse myself to go to the powder room (these are the kind of terms they use in Celebration, ridiculous. The term powder room retired with the socks and sandals, they share a summer home here.)

As I was in the restroom, the lack of activity forced my attention to the music playing in the restaurant. There was this beautiful song playing. It was just a man singing with
acoustic picking in the background. It was beautiful. Usually in this circumstance I use my cell phone's nifty song identifier to get the name so I can download it later. But alas my cell phone was at the table, and I couldn't leave the john (take that Celebrationites, I called it a john) grab my phone, then return with it in hand, what would people think?

So instead I tuned into the lyrics and tried to log them into my mind. Well all I could remember was the man saying "Love Is..." over and over again. So I tried to find the song, but I couldn't. But not all was lost. As I was searching the i-tunes scene I found another song called "Love Is..." by Lee McDerment. It is even more beautiful than the powder room song. I wanted to share the lyrics with you but he is relatively unknown so I couldn't find them anywhere.

But I was so passionate about this song that I listened to it and typed them myself just so you could experience this beautiful piece of work. If you want to hear it look him up in myspace. It just happens to be rocking my space this very moment so if we are friends, hit me up. So without further adu, here it is.

"Love is..." by Lee McDerment

Love is air,
It's like breathing in
It's like filling up about to break, then giving in
It's like light,
You can see it from far away
A match light in the dark,

Becoming light of day

It's just love and it's everything

It's a battle you fight and song you sing

It's just love

And you know it's true

But you might not know it when it happens to you

Love is tough

It's like surgery

Twisting all the crocked parts of you

Into marvelous symmetry

It's like heat

You can feel it in the bitter night

A thing that stings your fingers

It's a forest fire
It's just love and it's everything
It's a battle you fight and song you sing

It's just love

And you know it's true

But you might not know it when it happens to you

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I used to work at Disney and visited Celebration often - BUT visiting Anderson, SC to see Lee McDerment is WAY MORE ENTERTAINING!!! Check him out @ www.newspring.cc He's the worship leader @ this church and the song you're speaking of is off his "Matchlight in the Dark" album.
LEE ROCKS!