Friday, July 25, 2008

An Artistic Chimera...


Recently I downloaded the iTunes original session featuring one of my favorite artists of all time, the amazing Fiona Apple. Let me first explain to you how much I love Fiona Apple. First of all, I love her music. It is so rich and soulful. One of the things that initially turns me onto any music are the lyrics. I am definitely a fan of witty lyrics and her stuff is brimming with them. Another thing I love about her is how consumed she is in her thoughts and music. The session I downloaded features Her performing her music interspersed with interviews about her life and her music. Every time I listen to her speak I can just hear the depth of her mind. I think she is so fascinating. Anywho.

In one of her interviews she is talking about a six year break that she took from the industry. She says that she grew weary of the pressure and just decided to lay low. She bought a huge house with a garden and says that she spent the next six years walking around her garden and concentrating on writing music and being at piece. This struck me so strongly for some reason. I couldn't get the thought out of my head. The idea of spending six years in my garden, away from the world and simply concentrating on my art of choice sounds like the most ideal situation I could possibly imagine.

My personality is such that I feel clogged up and the only way to get my emotions out are through artistic expression. I realize how much that previous sentence oozes with egotism but I promise that isn't the way that I mean it. I have used this quote before but everyday I relate to it more and more. It is by Martha Graham and it states:

"There is a vitality, a life-force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost."

I just wish that I could survive by in this world by simply expressing myself. What a
chimera.


* here is a video of her performing her song "Extraordinary Machine". It takes a second for them to get situated but it is worth the wait.


No comments: