Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I Blame YOU Little Nemo!


Tonight, as I was cooking some dinner I randomly thought of this movie that I used to watch constantly when I was little. Ya know how little kids get a movie they like then put it on loop for the next five years? That was me. It's called "Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland". Now we didn't actually own this movie but the older woman that lived next to us did. So whenever her grandkids, who were our age, would come over we would go knock on her door and ask if we could watch the Nemo movie. She would bring us into her living room, give us a bag of gingersnaps (which I never really liked but they were free so of course I ate the entire bag), and popped the movie into the VCR.

This happened a lot and I loved it but, as I think back, this movie seriously freaked me out. Even now, looking back on it, I get the heebies. First of all it is an anime, so it is totally not meant for small children. Cartoon doesn't always equal kid friendly. But I don't blame the old woman cause we would ask for it and she liked the company. Anywho. It is about this kid named Nemo, who lives in London with his neglectful parents. Well On night he is in his bed and it takes flight, out his window and into Slumberland. Now I am a little fuzzy on the details but from what I remember is this:

  • He arrives at Slumberland and meets the king (I think his name is Morpheus)
  • For some reason, they make him the prince of Slumberland (why not?)
  • They give him a key to the city that opens any door, but of course there is one he is never to open
  • I am gonna let you guess what he does now
  • During a grand celebration the Nightmare King, that he just released from the door he wasn't suppose to open attacks
  • He kidnaps the king
  • Nemo has a grand battle and saves him
  • It was all a dream...or was it?
Now the whole thing is a little one to many magic mushrooms for me but the thing that really freaked me out was the nightmare king himself. Lets see a screen shot:

















Yikes. It's funny to look at what kids watch now as opposed to what we watched growing up. Maybe thats the reason things are so screwed up now. Thanks a lot Little Nemo. The war in Iraq is your fault!

2 comments:

Allie said...

Oh my goodness! I love that movie! I was actually looking for a copy so I could watch it again. I remember the baddie was SO scary.

Jash said...

eeek!!! i just peed a little!!!