Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Rant Alert: Dear Roland Emmerich:


You're an asshole.

Lemme rewind.

Ronland Emmerich is the director of the upcoming film 2012, which is claiming to be an accurate depiction of the events that are "going to happen" in December of 2012.

Now, I think all of this 2012 non sense is stupid and fanatic. The world is not going to end in 2012. Just like it didn't end in the year 2000, just like it didn't end on 6/6/06.

Propaganda.

I'm not worried about the actual world ending.

I am, however, worried about the affect all this non sense is beginning to have on the people around me.

One of the marketing campaigns of Emmerich's 2012 is an organization called the Institute for Human Continuity.
Basically, according to Assosiated Content the website is this:
"The Institute for Human Continuity (IHC) is a glossy looking website that one can access to pretend that the apocalyptic events predicted to occur in 2012 will in fact occur and that one can do something to secure one's survival. The Institute for Human Continuity (IHC) is the latest of the kind of Internet viral campaign that has become common to advertise things like upcoming films and TV shows."

Now let me explain.

Basically, the people who are making this movie are preying on people's fears about this upcoming date in order to make money on their film, by advertising this organization without explaining that it is in fact not a real company but in fact a piece from their film. Now, I will admit it is a smart campaign but it really irritates me. Here is why:

I guess I am just concerned about the crazy stuff people are going to do in preparation for this event. People do drastic things when they are scared, and I don't like the fact that this film is aiding in hyping up this event even more than it already is.

So bottom line: If you see commercials for the Institute for Human Continuity, don't worry, its just hollywood.
I just don't want people to stress.
Also, if God was going to end the world, I don't think he would want to tip everyone off with such a specific date. Mark 13 anyone?
"But of that day or hour, no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be watchful! Be alert! You do not know when the time will come." (Mark 13:32-33)

Now I know I am not the epitamy of the christian faith, but maybe someone who is concerned about this stuff will take some solace.

Just be be happy today and love the people in your life.

I love you all.

Sorry for the rant.

xoxo?

3 comments:

JULIE said...

Good rant. Iiiiiii liked it.

Anonymous said...

Amen!

CirqueDuSolErin said...

less than three you... ;)